Sunday 10 January 2016

The Green Urge


I think I have a problem.....

It appears as a form of tunnel vision. I can only focus on one thing (or a selection of things in a certain spectrum). An urge takes over me and I feel the need to take in and observe as much green life around me as possible. Should I be worried?

On a recent holiday to Europe, travelling through London, Paris and Berlin I found myself drawn to the various plants as I walked the streets of these iconic European cities. Being my first real trip abroad but it was fascinating seeing plants I only knew in nursery situations in more of their natural environment and other plants I had never come across before, I was like a kid in a plant candy store.

Don't get me wrong, the holiday itself was amazing - the history, the architecture, the people, the food, sights and smells also had much of my attention, there were so many new impressions to process but I continuously had my eye wander to the green life in my surrounds.

Be it the 120+ year old Plane Tree's at Sacre-Coeur, the symmetry of Tuileries Gardens or the Melia azeddarach (an Aussie invasion!) at the Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris.

Tree 'Skeleton' at Sacré-Cœur

Pond at Tuileries Gardens





Central alley of  Tuileries Gardens looking towards The Louvre


From Paris to Berlin,where mistletoe laden trees stood out due to the lack of foliage, the terraced gardens of Sanssouci Palace or the pot of Anigozanthos seedlings at my girlfriends parents house in near Strausberg Germany (seeds we sent as a gift) - the green life of Europe caught my attention as much as the man made wonders nearby.


Mistletoe in Trees, Potsdam
Weeping Willow on Sanssouci Palace grounds




As I mentioned in my previous blog, I think the basis for my love of the natural world began earlier than when I started working and studying in the field of horticulture. I always found it interesting to watch the 'behavior' of plants throughout the year - see leaves change color in Autumn, shed their leaves for Winter or come to life in Spring and Summer, be it new growth, flowers or fruit.

This 'green tunnel vision' phenomenon of mine started about the time I began studying in the field of horticulture. One thing my teacher said to us was "good observation is the key to being a good horticulturalist". It was a sentiment echoed in countless textbooks and from mentor's throughout my working life so far. From my early days learning the craft up until now I have had an eye for detail, no matter how small.

I think it's kind of cool being able to live the year vicariously through plants, being able to tell what month or season it is by looking at the green life around you. But it's not all about the plants themselves, it's the creatures that interact with plants that is equally interesting.

How plants co-exist with and even use fauna and insects for their perpetuation is quite amazing when you think of the science and mechanics behind it. A sweet smell, a bright flower rich in nectar or a juicy ripe fruit - plants feeding the masses (humans included), the pay off? Procreation, life renewed.

Plants are amazing things, there are countless examples of zany and crazy things they do to survive and continue the species, but that folks is a blog for another day.

This keen eye has kept the wonder and magic of the plant world very much alive to me, it's allowed me to continue to learn about the wonders towering above us, growing around us or below our feet, it's silly to think of it like a kid holding onto the idea of Santa or the Easter Bunny but it's that kind of excitement I still get from the natural world.

What is it that draws your eye to the plants around you? Is it as simple as a pretty flower? Or is it something more complex like the Venus Fly Trap catching it's own food? I'd love to know what fascinates you about plants.




No comments:

Post a Comment